Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Excel 2013: formula bar is inaccessible #5384

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2015 · 7 comments
Closed

Excel 2013: formula bar is inaccessible #5384

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2015 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bramd on 2015-09-21 19:50
THe formula bar that can be used to inspect and enter a formula is inaccessible. It is announced as unknown and the contents can't be read. This is reproducable on cells that contain formulas and empty cells. I press f2 to open the formula bar.

The developer info for current navigator object is as follows when the navigator and focus is on the formula bar:

name: None
role: ROLE_UNKNOWN
states: STATE_FOCUSABLE, STATE_FOCUSED
isFocusable: True
hasFocus: True
Python object: <NVDAObjects.IAccessible.ContentGenericClient object at 0x05714610>
Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.IAccessible.ContentGenericClient'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
description: None
value: u''
appModule: <'appModuleHandler' (appName u'excel', process ID 1680) at address 5651630>
appModule.productName: u'Microsoft Office 2013'
appModule.productVersion: u'15.0.4420.1017'
TextInfo: <class 'displayModel.DisplayModelTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 3147086
windowClassName: u'EXCEL6'
windowControlID: 0
windowStyle: 1442840576
windowThreadID: 1384
windowText: u''
displayText: u''
IAccessibleObject: <POINTER(IAccessible) ptr=0xce94fd8 at 54d7b70>
IAccessibleChildID: 0
IAccessible event parameters: windowHandle=3147086, objectID=-4, childID=0
IAccessible accName: None
IAccessible accRole: ROLE_SYSTEM_CLIENT
IAccessible accState: STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSED, STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE, STATE_SYSTEM_VALID (1048580)
IAccessible accDescription: None
IAccessible accValue: None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-09-22 06:17
Are you running Windows XP/Vista? Or (and I only ask this because you're a developer type) did you perhaps disable UI Automation? The Excel 2013 formula bar is no longer accessible via display hooks, but they did implement UI Automation for it, and last time i checked, NVDA did handle this. I guess it's possible we broke it somehow.

Note that there are other edit fields that aren't accessible (e.g. the comment and sheet rename fields) and there's nothing we can do about this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by bramd (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-09-22 10:51
Replying to jteh:

Are you running Windows XP/Vista? Or (and I only ask this because you're a developer type) did you perhaps disable UI Automation?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the OS. This is Windows 10. I was surprised to see no accessible info at all in the log for this object.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bramd on 2015-09-27 12:56
Any hints how I could start debugging this? I need to do some work in Excel the upcoming days.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by bramd on 2015-10-06 11:19
Hmm, I see I have a 64 bits version of Office, could this be related?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-10-08 02:53
Mick confirmed that this does use UI Automation correctly (and is thus accessible) for him in Excel 2013. I'm not sure why this wouldn't work for you. Perhaps something is broken in your Office installation?

I guess it's possible there is something different about the 64 bit version. We don't have a 64 bit version to test with.

Out of interest, does this work with Narrator? Even if it does, this still doesn't help us (since the control apparently reports that it doesn't have a native UI Automation implementation on your system when NVDA asks), but I'd be interested to know whether the UIA implementation is working at all.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by bramd on 2015-10-26 22:19
Meanwhile I solved this strange issue. I had some issues with Visual Studo and had to reinstall that including the related components. After removing and installing .NET framework 4.5 SDK this suddenly was fixed. I don't see any relationship between this issue and the .NET 4.5 SDK, but this comment might help if someone ever has the same issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by bramd on 2015-10-26 22:20
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant