Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Can't use Numpad Enter to switch to focus mode #5385

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2015 · 13 comments
Closed

Can't use Numpad Enter to switch to focus mode #5385

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2015 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by brandon15 on 2015-09-21 23:12
Hello,

When on a web page in Internet Explorer/Firefox/Edge, and I come to an edit box, I would like to be able to use the numpad enter key to switch to focus mode instead of the normal enter key please.

Actual results:

Depending on the situation, NVDA either does nothing, or, in other situations such as on some parts of Gmail, NVDA sometimes activates the send button, in effect sending a blank email in that case.

Expected results:

When NVDA says edit, pressing numpad enter should go to focus mode just like space or normal enter key does.

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2015-09-21 23:37
Hi,
Hmmm, I get a feeling that Numpad ENTER is not checked (only regular ENTER is). Is this a trivial thing to fix?
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by brandon15 on 2015-09-21 23:46
Hello,

Yes, this is not major, but sometimes would be nice to be able to press the numpad enter instead.

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2015-09-22 00:00
Hi,
Let's hear from others - it is easy to fix (just adding another command to the browse mode gestures map), but let's think about consequences.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2015-09-22 06:07
Given that we use the numpad for NVDA commands, it's conceivable that we might some day decide to use numpadEnter for something. However, until we do, there's probably no harm in mapping it; we already handle numpadDelete the same way as delete. This should probably also be done for caret_newLine in NVDAObjects/behaviors.py.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@... on 2015-09-22 18:59
In commit 2e1ec42:
Numpad enter can now be used to enter focus mode in form fields. re #5385

Also took this time to add numpad ENTER in behaviors module to make sure typed character is processed (when a new line is to be sent) when numpad ENTER is pressed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by nvdakor on 2015-09-22 19:02
Hi,
After greping a bit more, I noticed there are commands in some app modules that uses regular enter but not numpad enter. Would you like me to add numpad enter binding for them now?
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by brandon15 on 2015-09-22 20:27
Hi,

If there is anything else that needs this change that's ok.

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-09-23 07:54
If the gesture is passed to the app, that depends whether the app handles numpadEnter the same as it does enter. In most cases, this is probably true, but the change shouldn't be made without being certain. If in doubt, don't change it. :) Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by brandon15 on 2015-09-23 10:43
Hi,

Will I be able to test this in the Snapshots soon, or do we still need to do some more work on this first?

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by nvdakor on 2015-09-23 13:37
Hi,
@jteh: In this case, it is all yours for you to review.
For Brandon: not until Jamie merges this into next branch after reviewing my commit.
Thanks.

@hvinh
Copy link

hvinh commented Feb 4, 2016

Hello,

Does it means that with the change both Enter keys will fire a click event on a button? (cf. #5730)

Thanks

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Feb 4, 2016 via email

jcsteh pushed a commit that referenced this issue Mar 3, 2016
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Incubated in f120150.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants