Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Outlook 2010: Word "inserted" output whilst reading body of message #5486

Closed
elliott94 opened this issue Nov 12, 2015 · 6 comments
Closed

Outlook 2010: Word "inserted" output whilst reading body of message #5486

elliott94 opened this issue Nov 12, 2015 · 6 comments

Comments

@elliott94
Copy link

I've just updated NVDA to the latest available Next snapshot, and whilst composing messages have noticed that the word "inserted" is now being output. I didn't notice anything in the revision log that would suggest why this has been added, and I haven't been able to figure out the benefit of why this particular text is being output. I originally thought that it may be a notification for user-entered text, but upon testing this theory by forwarding a message the notification disappeared on a blank line, but was announced again when moving the cursor to a line containing further text. I should point out that this announcement is only spoken when focusing on the message body for the first time, and not on each individual line of the actual message.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 12, 2015 via email

@elliott94
Copy link
Author

It looks like this is a change in 2015.4 - see #4920 for more details.

Are you happy for me to close this? I'm trying to figure out why the announcement of inserted text would help the user - what is the announcement actually supposed to mean?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 20, 2015 via email

@elliott94
Copy link
Author

Since by default my copy of Outlook is set to compose HTML messages, would this explain why this is occurring? It definitely can't be reproduced whilst using a copy of NVDA 2015.3.

@jcsteh jcsteh added this to the 2016.1 milestone Nov 23, 2015
@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 23, 2015

Okay. So the reason #4920 affects things (despite my earlier comment) is that it enabled "Report editor revisions" by default. (It used to be disabled by default.) So, if you've never changed that setting, it will now be enabled instead of disabled. The logic behind that decision is that if editor revisions are shown visually, users almost certainly want to know about them.

Unfortunately, based on the issue you're seeing, it seems Outlook exposes editor revisions (track changes) even though you'd never use this while writing email and almost certainly doesn't show them visually.

Our current thinking is that we should just always ignore editor revisions in Outlook.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Incubated in 937f433.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants