Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Keyboard layout change is not reported in console windows #556

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 13, 2010 · 4 comments
Closed

Keyboard layout change is not reported in console windows #556

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 13, 2010 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2010-02-13 08:34

steps to reproduce

• ensure you have more than one keyboard layout installed
  • start->run->cmd
  • type something and try to change layout
  • ensure you are entering letters in newly set language

current results

NVDA doesn't report the change to keyboard layout

expected results

NVDA must gracefully report the change

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2010-02-13 10:07
I assume this was a problem even before the rewrite today?

In Windows 7 I do get layout changes.
But in Vista and XP I don't remember getting them.

I think simply the reason is that in these Operating Systems, getMessage / callwndproc hooks are never fired for console windows as it seems you can not inject in to these windows at all.

At this point in time I can't think of how to fix it, with out coming up with another way of detecting the change in general.

Also, how ever we do do it, it still must be in-process as getKeyboardLayoutName does not take a thread identifier, it only works on the current thread.

Perhaps there is a way to ask the console for its current keyboard layout, via the console API functions. If so, then we probably could just check if it changes on each key press in keyboardHandler.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by nvdakor on 2014-07-25 13:23
Hi,
I can confirm that NVDA does announce keyboard language/layout changes in Windows 8.x while using command prompt.
Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

This works for me in Windows 10. It seems both @michaelDCurran and @josephsl reported a works for me as well, so I assume it's safe to close this.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 13, 2017

This is probably only relevant to XP and Vista, both of which are now end-of-life. Closing.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants