Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Provide a key to read last spoken info #625

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 13, 2010 · 11 comments
Open

Provide a key to read last spoken info #625

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 13, 2010 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by allan on 2010-04-13 03:33
Sometime, windows has pop-up messages that will only read once in screen reader and user might miss heard the message, example pop-up message in system tray, HelpBalloons or ToolTips.

This keystroke can read back the message.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-04-13 03:38
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2010.2 to 2010.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2010-12-02 02:16
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.1 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2013-08-29 12:30
Hi,
Quite a late notice here...
Supposedly, there is an add-on which reports a history of recent hep balloon messages (last time I checked, it was called Balloon History). I think that add-on should fit the description in this ticket for now. Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jun 22, 2017

Note that in Windows 10, you can review most toast messages in action center. As for older versions, we also have the the speech history add-on nowadays.

Nevertheless, I don't think this feature would look out of place in core

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I think all of Speech History's functionality would be really useful to have in core. There are several instances when NVDA reads something from someplace that is hard to access - either because the user doesn't know of the location of the source or because the source is not screen reader accessible - but misses it because the speech got interrupted for whatever reason. I could try to think of more concrete real-world scenarios if that might be helpful, but I do think that this ticket should be considered more actively.

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Jun 23, 2020 via email

@LittleStar-VIP
Copy link

This is a good idea,
probably user can repeat the last n th message, and at the same time user can check the character description of the last n th message.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Does this ticket cover (i) reading utterances prior to the last one, and (ii) navigating and copying them? If so, please consider retitling the ticket to broaden its scope. If not, a new ticket for those feature extensions would be needed.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Some instances that I can think of off the top of my head wherein I used Speech History add-on functionality (the feature requested in this ticket) include: (a) copying Math ML over so that I can read it by character (if a letter variable or some bracketing is hard to hear in the dense expression), (b) copying over Google Slides contents when I used it for the first time (it was a time-sensitive scenario and the review cursor was apparently not working and I just needed to click a URL and read a big paragraph), (c) getting to an interrupted speech feedback whose source is not known to me and would be more effort to track down. Moreover, almost all other screen readers across platforms (I am thinking JAWS, Talkback, and VoiceOver) seem to provide a way to copy last speech/utterance/announcement. I was working with a student recently who has been a long-time Talkback user on Android and is new to Windows, and was surprised that NVDA did not natively have a way to review/copy the last utterance.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Couple more situations I recently used Speech History for: Edge context menus are buggy with NVDA 2023.2 and I wanted to copy links so I pressed NVDA+k followed by copy last utterance command instead, I need to provide app version info so I press NVDA+Shift+v (from Say Product Name and Version add-on) followed by copy last utterance command.

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

XLTechie commented Sep 18, 2023 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants