Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

RTL problems in Microsoft Word #627

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 13, 2010 · 11 comments
Closed

RTL problems in Microsoft Word #627

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 13, 2010 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by orcauser on 2010-04-13 19:07
Hi,
NVDA 2009.1 worked well with word and rtl, unfortunately the changes for 2010.1 beta (and final release) seems to have introduced a problem for Arabic.

Unfortunately this was not brought to my attension until recently (I dont use windows regularly so dont get to test NVDA on a regular basis).

Only recent snapshots are available for download, so i am unable to identify in which particular revision the issue was introduced.

problem description:

open word 2003 (untested with 2007)
write a line in english.
type a second line with the arabic alphabet.
type a third line in english.

when we use the cursor keys to move between lines, when landing on the line that has arabic NVDA simply says blank.

while standing on this arabic line, if we press home, we hear the first arabic letter, so the text is actually there.
if we use the numpad keys, we can read the text.

This is an important issue for our Arabic NVDA users, so we would be grateful if this issue could be looked into.

Thank you.

Mesar

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-04-13 19:13
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2010.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2010-04-13 23:24
It'd be great if you could attach a test document, just with the content you described. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment testArabicDoc.doc added by orcauser on 2010-04-14 22:44
Description:
sample document showing bug

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by orcauser on 2010-04-15 22:36
Sorry, didnt see nvda trac sending out an email when i attached the sample document, so decided to post.

The document says:
This is line 1 (english)
This is line 2 (arabic)
This is line 3 (english)

Please let me know if i can be of any further help.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2010-04-26 23:41
Fixed in 17adbc6.
Though it does make using MS Word a little slower again, but only to the point where it was in 2009.1.
We'll need to research whether doing some of this stuff in-process will speed things up at all.
Before the ticket is closed, I would like to get feedback on whether the selection flickers when moving by line (i.e. up and down arrow). We again move the selection to find out the bounds of the line, though this time apparently screen updating is disabled while we do this, so theoretically, no things should be seen visually.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by orcauser on 2010-05-02 09:04
Confirmed as fixed by end users, cant say about the visual selection, have no sighted assistance to inform me of what is going on.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2010-07-25 02:50
No one seems to have complained. Closing as fixed. Anyone can reopen if in deed there are selection flickers due to this fix.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2010-07-27 08:52
Fixed in 2010.2.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2010.3 to 2010.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mdcurran on 2010-12-10 04:20
e40da8e has broken this for Word 2003 while using a braille display. I have no idea at the moment how we can fix this. But if we didn't break this, we would have left NVDA's braille support in MS Word (all versions) very crippled as it was impossible to type fast at all. Arabic text can still be read in Word 2007/2010 with or with out a braille display.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2010.2 to near-term
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by mdcurran on 2010-12-10 04:21
Changes:
Changed title from "RTL problems in word and 2010.1" to "RTL problems in Microsoft Word"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mdcurran on 2011-07-01 06:58
Changeset:main,4518 fixes this again, while still allowing braille to work appropriately. Please reopen if this is not the case though I'm quite certain it would have since line code now uses the selection again, rathr than rangeFromPoint.
Changes:
Milestone changed from near-term to 2011.2
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant