Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When using rtl languages, the text in the interface should be right justified. #638

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 2, 2010 · 13 comments · Fixed by #12181
Closed
Assignees
Labels
bug component/NVDA-GUI p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority sightedDevIdeal

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by MHameed on 2010-05-02 09:18
When using English interface, text using the UI is left justified (menues, dialogues etc).

When we switch to Arabic, the interface shows the correct text, but it still has a left justification. It should be to the right.

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-05-02 15:44
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2010.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2010-12-01 06:20
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.1 to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by orcauser on 2011-05-09 20:05
Hi,

Just wanted to say that i am able to run from source, and try various patches if you have any suggestions.
I can get sighted assistance to verify how it looks.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by orcauser on 2011-09-19 14:16
Came across this which might be useful when considering this ticket:
http://wiki.wxpython.org/Internationalization#Switching_between_Left_to_Right_and_Right_to_Left_Languages
Will see if I can do anything about it in the near term.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the near-term milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the near-term milestone Jun 24, 2016
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @feerrenrut

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@LeonarddeR thanks for bringing this up. My previous experience with swapping between LTR and RTL languages makes me cautious to recommend a low cost of implementation for this one. It will at the very least require that all dialogs in the GUI are checked, I expect we will run into some edge cases. We will also need to consider how this can be made generic and fit into the the GuiHelper.

Before I assign priority to this, it would be handy if we could hear what the impact is to someone expecting right to left layout. Does left to right layout particularly impact the usability of NVDA?

@mohdshara
Copy link

as a blind user this has no influence on how I use NVDA, however, this may be very important for a sighted teacher, for example. I will have to specifically approach those and see what they think.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@mohdshara stated in #638 (comment) that you might consult sighted individuals about the significance of the issue of NVDA GUI displaying your text left to right instead of the ideal right to left. Could you please update us with regards to the response of the sighted individual you consulted? In case you haven't done so already, please consider kindly aiding us in evaluating the impact of this ticket by doing the same now.

@mohdshara
Copy link

hi. @bhavyashah just to acknowledge seeing your prompt. I can not get sighted help this week. But will do as soon as I can and report back. Somebody else from our Arabic speaking followers may do so if possible.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

With reference to #638 (comment), this is a friendly reminder for @mohdshara to kindly attempt to consult a sighted individual to let us know what the impact of the issue in the current interface in displaying RTL languages is.

@Mahmood-Taghavi
Copy link

I am a sighted user of Persian (one Right-To-Left or RTL language), also I have some familiarity with Arabic, and I recently checked the user interface of NVDA in the Hebrew language.
It seems that the current version of NVDA supports RTL view in all dialog boxes correctly (except for the NVDA menu that does not support RTL yet, and the important issue that revealed in the bug number of #8859).
Notes: The RTL view is not just about the justification of text to the right corner (instead of left), it effects on more important aspects such as:

1. The visual sequence of words in translation into RTL languages that depend on the support of RTL view when the sentence contains some untranslated words. For example, when the expression of "NVDA website" in the NVDA help menu translate into an RTL language and the word of NVDA remain untranslated (as it is usual), it is visually seen as "website NVDA" (suppose the website word replaced with its translation) so the sequence of words change if RTL view be not supported (except when all words in a sentence be LTR or all of them be RTL).
  2. If the NVDA menu also fully supports RTL, the submenu will be located in the left side of the menu (because at that case the first means right corner and after that submenu will locate in the left of menu), so to access submenu users must use the left key instead of the right key. This will be more natural for RTL users that use also translated user interface of windows, where for example they also use the left key to go inside of the tree views in the windows explorer.
  3. If you need I am ready to help at least by checking the bug fixed versions of NVDA for RTL issue.
    @feerrenrut
    @bhavyashah

@Mahmood-Taghavi
Copy link

More explanation about the previous comment with a picture of Arabic windows:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/localizability/mirroring-awareness

@mohdshara
Copy link

thanks @smtsh for summarizing the impact. Maybe related to this is your ticket #8865
@feerrenrut is this enough for you to give this a priority?

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jan 7, 2019
@seanbudd seanbudd self-assigned this Mar 16, 2021
@seanbudd seanbudd linked a pull request Mar 16, 2021 that will close this issue
7 tasks
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/NVDA-GUI p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority sightedDevIdeal
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

8 participants