Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

ARIA alert role read inconsistently #717

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 18, 2010 · 3 comments
Closed

ARIA alert role read inconsistently #717

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 18, 2010 · 3 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by kennpetri on 2010-06-18 18:46
An element with ARIA role of alert is typically voiced any time the element's content is updated. However, there seems to be a bug in certain cases.

All testing done with Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 7. Tested against both NVDA 2010.1 and main-3573

Two examples:

1. A form that updates an element with role of alert:
    http://newmedia.osu.edu/projects/idm-site/examples/form-securityQuestions.php

On this form you must fill in some response to 5 of the 20 questions before you can click the submit button. Every time you fill in a field and the field is blurred, the message area (with role of alert) is updated.

NVDA will announce all updates except for the final one. It is unclear why it does not announce the final update.

1. The popular, ARIA-aware Dojo Toolkit Tooltip Widget/Dijit:

http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/test_Tooltip.html

Only occasionally does NVDA announce the tooltip text. (By contrast, JAWS 11 in FF consistently announces it.)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-06-19 05:30
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2010.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2010-12-02 04:11
Testcase 1:
As I fill in each field and press tab, I hear the alert telling me how many questions I have left.
However, I don't actually hear the next field at all due to the laert canceling the speech for that field... but this is an NVDA bug which we will fix in future.
As I fill in the form, I hear the alerts for 4 more questions, 3 more questions, 2 more questions and 1 more question. However the next field I fill in and press tab I hear nothing. But, if I fill in another field and tab again, I hear form completed successfully.
Strangely though the time I don't hear anything, if I manually review the virtualBuffer, I do see the text "the form completed successfully" but it seems as though the alert event itself doesn't actually fire for one more tab press.
I really think this is a problem with either the testcase or the browser itself, as NVDA has no way of delaying alert events like that.

Testcase 2:
Please provide more info on exactly how to use that testcase. It seems a little complex and there are multiple tests on the one page.
Plus, could you if possible please provide a description of how this tooltip widget actually works. Is it an alert? is it a live region? Where exactly does it appear in the DOM?
Could you perhaps provide a very simple example... say a document with just two focusable nodes and no other content, and focusing the second node causes the tooltip to appear? this would be very useful for further testing.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2011.1 to near-term

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2011-05-31 02:56
Testcase 1 works with Firefox 4.
Testcase 2: the link is now broken (error 404) and the reporter has not answered my last question from 6 months ago. Closing as works for me. Please reopen if more info can be provided on the second testcase.
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants