Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

A summary of page elements could be announced when a page has finished loading #737

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2010 · 14 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2010-06-30 17:14
When a web page has finished loading, an optional setting could allow NVDA to tell the user how many web elements (links, headings, etc) are on that particular page.
Blocking #3221

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-06-30 22:24
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2010.2 to None

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 4, 2017

CC @LeonarddeR, @ruifontes.

I realise other screen readers have this functionality, but I'd argue we shouldn't implement this as requested for several reasons:

1. Performance: This could be quite slow.
    • For virtual buffers, we still need to walk the entire virtual buffer tree to get this information. Alternatively, we could maintain counts for element types of interest as we build and update the buffer, but that introduces a fair bit of complexity.
    • We're moving away from virtual buffers. We don't use them for neither Edge nor Kindle and it's probable we will move away from them for Firefox and Chrome as well at some point. Once that happens, this will be even slower.
  2. Usefulness: Why is it useful to know the exact number of links, headings, etc.? I can understand someone wanting to know that certain types of things are present, but why the number of them? If it's about knowing what types of things are present, why not just "Document has headings, links and landmarks"?
  3. Accuracy: The idea of when a page finishes "loading" is becoming less and less relevant. We start reading the document when there's something useful to read. We haven't waited for the DOM "load" event for many years now because on the modern web, this might take a very long time to arrive (or may never arrive at all). Also, some pages load content dynamically. If we're giving the user exact counts, the user may trust those counts to be accurate. And if they can't, why are we counting at all? See point 2.
  4. Equivalent experience: There is no equivalent experience for a sighted user. Sure, if there's something a sighted user can do and making that accessible just doesn't "fit" for a screen reader user, we might implement an alternative method to achieve it; e.g. quick navigation is an alternative to a sighted person "skimming" the page with their eyes. However, counting links, headings, etc. is just not something anyone would waste their time doing. Sure, they might identify the kinds of things on a page, but that has nothing to do with counting.
  5. Verbosity: This increases the amount of stuff a user has to wait through before they can get on with reading the page. I guess making this optional mitigates this, but I'd want it disabled by default in that case, which raises the question of whether anyone would actually enable it.

As always, please provide real world use cases to justify the need for this. From there, we can figure out the best user experience.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Apr 4, 2017 via email

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 4, 2017 via email

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Apr 4, 2017 via email

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

Generally I use stammetric counting of objects to quickly know if the page I just opened is very extense, and it will take me a long time to get to know the content of the page.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@elliott94 @jcsteh raises some fair points and makes some powerful arguments against this functionality. As the original author of this ticket, do you have any remarks or responses?

@elliott94
Copy link

This was initially logged at a time when I'd just switched from JAWS to NVDA. I'm happy for this to be closed if that's the general opinion.

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

fernando-jose-silva commented Aug 19, 2018 via email

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 19, 2018 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Has anyone looked at this issue lately? I had a request from a user for it today.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Apr 20, 2020 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

To me it looks like the feature as described will not be implemented, reasons for this are well explained in previous comments. There is potentially a remaining use case for providing some kind of skimmed overview of a page. Though the specific goals have not been well defined. This issue currently reads like an implementation in search of justification. I'd prefer to close this issue.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

One suggestion from my side at least, could this not be acomplished in the elements list? At least for the elements that can be chosen there? The radio buttons could contain also the number of the elements (i.e. link 320 radio button, headings, 20 radio button etc.). However, I think even this would have a big impact on performance. I wonder how Jaws does this?

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests