Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Microsoft Sapi 5 driver doesn't use correct sampling rate #749

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 6, 2010 · 8 comments
Closed

Microsoft Sapi 5 driver doesn't use correct sampling rate #749

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 6, 2010 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mario.percinic on 2010-07-06 13:50
Something is wrong with the sampling rate used for sapi5 synthesis in the current Microsoft sapi5 driver. Instead of using its default values for each synthesis, everything works on very low sampling rate, so all sapi5 synthesis which work on 22 or 44 khz sound like they go thru 16 khz or even lower.
To hear the difference, run any sapi5 synthesizer installed on your system thru the control pannel/speech options to hear how it sounds like in the operating system. than, if you use espeak as main nvda synthesizer, switch the synthesizer to sapi5 and listen to it how it sounds thru nvda. If you have sapi5 version of espeak, switch between regular version used in nvda with the same voice variants and version of espeak bundled with nvda. If everything would work fine, than there would be almost no difference in sound except little pitch variation. Now, espeak bundled with nvda sounds much clearer than sapi5 version which wasn't the case before.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-07-07 19:06
When did this start occurring? Please provide a date or revision number if possible.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mario.percinic (in reply to comment 1) on 2010-07-08 11:35
Replying to jteh:

When did this start occurring? Please provide a date or revision number if possible.

It looks like that this is happening to all versions of nvda which run under win7. I've tested various snapshots including old 2009-rc1 on 2 different machines with win7 english 32bit, one desktop and one asus ee1101ha netbook with the same results. So i can't say when it started to happened, and it looks like that under winxp everything works fine.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2010-07-15 22:32
Neither Mick or I can reproduce this. We're both running Windows 7.

Do you have the Output device in the Synthesizer dialog set to "Microsoft Sound Mapper"? If not, please try this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2010-07-29 19:44
Can't reproduce, no one else seems to be experiencing this and no comment from reporter.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2010.2 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mdcurran on 2011-01-28 05:09
No comment from reporter so closing.
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2011-11-24 07:24
I can reproduce this, as I now have a higher quality voice installed. It only occurs if you set a specific audio output device; i.e. not Microsoft Sound Mapper.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2012.1
Removed labels: worksforme
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2011-11-24 08:26
e75d522
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by briang1 on 2011-11-25 10:01
Yes, this one has been around for a while. For the record some other software does exactly the same, notably Dspeech.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant