Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Slow system menu in IE on XP #862

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 27, 2010 · 6 comments
Closed

Slow system menu in IE on XP #862

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 27, 2010 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2010-08-27 13:43
I tried to find a ticket for this, and ref in the docs but could not, so if its already there and I missed it, apologies.
However the main thrust is that I think people need to be warned about this up to 20 second response lag when IE's alt/space system menu is opened in XP before you can interact with it.
I'm assuming it cannot be fixed using the current screen reading apis in use.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-08-27 16:25
I never even knew this issue existed. It should be investigated for a possible fix before we just document it as a warning.

I can't reproduce it here with IE 8. Is it specific to IE 7?
Changes:
Changed title from "Warning needed in docs about slow system menu in IE" to "Slow system menu in IE 7"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment system menu in ie with xp freeze.log added by briang1 on 2010-08-27 18:15
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2010-08-27 18:28
Well, I'm sure I was involved in a discussion on one of these groups about this some time ago, at which time someone on the dev team said it was a bug in XP when IE was in use. If I'd not been pretty sure, I'd have mentioned it befor. There have been quite a few mentions of it on the freelist list now and again as well. The log I've attached is different to the one I posted on the dev group earlier on, as it also contains the effect of turning off the watchdog routine, which basically results in a hang until you press the alt key. Thus watchdog is doing his job, if a little slowly!
IE 8 seems to suffer in xp as well.

Changes:
Changed title from "Slow system menu in IE 7" to "Slow system menu in IE on XP"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2010-09-01 23:27
I was able to reproduce this with IE 7 in Windows XP.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2010-09-14 01:07
96615ff reduces the time from over 10 seconds to about 2 or 3. This is as good as we're going to get, at least for now.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2010-09-14 19:49
I'm getting better than 2 seconds here even on the slow machines. Looking at the log I see its still triggering watchdog. I'd also suggest that this version seems faster in the favourites menu as well, but that could be just a coincidence.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant