Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Unexpected reading of console output #875

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 2, 2010 · 10 comments
Closed

Unexpected reading of console output #875

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 2, 2010 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by tspivey on 2010-09-02 22:28
There are two instances I've found so far where characters are read unexpectedly in console windows:

1. When echo characters is on and read dynamic content is off, the following at a Cygwin bash prompt will echo characters until ^c is pressed:
    while :;do seq 1 100;done
    This doesn't happen when character echo is off.
  2. When read dynamic content is on and regardless of the character echo setting, the first character typed on a line will speak if there's nothing else on that line. E.g. starting to type an ed command.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2010-11-10 18:31
Replying to tspivey:

1. When echo characters is on and read dynamic content is off, the following at a Cygwin bash prompt will echo characters until ^c is pressed:

while :;do seq 1 100;done

I'm not sure there is really much we can do about this. They look like typed characters to our code because they're near the caret and they're single characters. It might be possible to work around this in Windows 7, where i believe we get real notification of typed characters via WM_CHAR. Mick, how is this currently being blocked for consoles?

1. When read dynamic content is on and regardless of the character echo setting, the first character typed on a line will speak if there's nothing else on that line. E.g. starting to type an ed command.

Fixed in 6b0fdbe.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-05-08 23:04
Actually, neither issue is fixed.

Another related issue is reading of spurious characters when cursoring through characters in a console editor with speak typed characters enabled.

@frastlin
Copy link

When echo characters is on in Windows 10, the last line is spelled out in the console. So for example, when I am on my user dir it says:
c : \ u s e r s \ b r a n d o n >
C:\users\brandon>

one right after another. I do not remember this happening in windows 7.
It should just read the second line.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @tspivey

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@tspivey can you still reproduce this in NVDA 2019.2 RC2? @codeofdusk does your highly appreciated work on console improvements with UIA solve this issue?

@codeofdusk
Copy link
Contributor

@tspivey can you still reproduce this in NVDA 2019.2 RC2? @codeofdusk does your highly appreciated work on console improvements with UIA solve this issue?

Is this a duplicate of #513?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@codeofdusk that issue was partly a duplicate.
@tspivey how is the behavior now in NVDA 2020.1 Beta?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Does anyone have an update wether this issue still occurs in last NVDA alpha?

@codeofdusk
Copy link
Contributor

This is a duplicate of #513 (fixed in 2019.3).

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing as works for me. Thanks for the update.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants