Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA crashes Windows when viewing prefered wireless networks #884

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 5, 2010 · 5 comments
Closed

NVDA crashes Windows when viewing prefered wireless networks #884

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 5, 2010 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2010-09-05 06:31
I saw this behaviour on another machine a couple of months ago, but now I've seen it on my netbook as well.

When using the Wireless 0 Configuration Service that's built-in to Windows XP and you view your list of prefered wireless networks, NVDA appears to crash Windows, and the only way that I've found to get control back is to do a hard restart.
I'm unable to attach a log; I've not able to obtain one before Windows crashes.
Keystrokes such as alt-tabbing don't work, however you can still use NVDA keystrokes to read the time status, etc.

Steps to repro:

1. Open your Wireless Network Connection.
  2. If already conected, press the "View Wireless Networks" button.
  3. Press the "Change Order of Prefered Networks" button.

At this point NVDA and Windows should crash.
It should also be noted that this behaviour can't always be seen, but nine times out of ten Windows will crash.

Using XP with SP3.
This doesn't happen under Windows 7, and I can't remember if it happened in 2010.1.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by elliott94 on 2010-09-05 06:35
Another note: other screen readers such as JAWS work fine under this screen.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by RamboUdin on 2010-09-06 03:29
Hi,
i tried it and working fine!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2010-09-23 01:43
First of all, it's worth noting that if you can use NVDA keystrokes to read the time, etc., NVDA and Windows are definitely still alive. This doesn't fit with your description of a "crash". Can you press ctrl+shift+esc to bring up Task Manager?

We really need to know whether this happened in 2010.1.

A couple of other users have reported that they can't reproduce this. I've also tested it on one machine here and can't reproduce it. Unfortunately, until we can find a developer who can reproduce it, there's nothing we can do.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2010.3 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by elliott94 on 2011-04-05 18:46
Hi.

I realise that this is an old ticket, however I thought it necessary to bring up this issue once again.

I've been experimenting a little more, and unfortunately, even with the latest snapshots, this behaviour can still be seen. This is on a clean install of XP. Task Manager can be opened (my sound scheme confirms this), however no speech interaction is possible. This unfortunately means that I'm unable to provide a log - can you think of any other way that I can obtain information that may be able to help?

This issue has become so bad that I've actually had to switch to Narrator to make ajustments. I've tried a combonation of the Space and Enter keys on the button, even resorting to using navigation commands to click the button, with the same result.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, and I'll be more than happy. :)

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

This is XP only, and XP specific issues won't be fixed any more unless really critical. Closing

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants