Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not start under Windows XP no service pack. #908

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 16, 2010 · 15 comments
Closed

NVDA does not start under Windows XP no service pack. #908

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 16, 2010 · 15 comments
Assignees
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by nik62591 on 2010-09-16 04:39
When starting NVDA under Windows XP withou a service pack, NVDA fails to start. Below is the contents of the log.

Note: NVDA version is 2010.2 beta, running under Windows XP no service pack, running inside VMWare Workstation 6.5, with VMWare tools installed.

INFO - nvda (22:34:37):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (22:34:37):
Config dir: C:\Documents and Settings\CIOS\Application Data\nvda
NVDA version 2010.2beta1
Using Windows version sys.getwindowsversion(major=5, minor=1, build=2600, platform=2, service_pack='')
Using Python version 2.7 (r27:82525, Jul 4 2010, 09:01:59) v.1500 32 bit (Intel)
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDrivers.espeak.SynthDriver.init (22:34:40):
Using eSpeak version 1.44.03 15.Aug.10
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (22:34:40):
Loaded synthDriver espeak
INFO - core.main (22:34:40):
Using wx version 2.8.11.0 (msw-unicode)
INFO - braille.initialize (22:34:40):
Using liblouis version 2.1.1
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (22:34:40):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille
CRITICAL - nvda (22:34:40):
core failure
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "nvda.pyw", line 139, in
File "core.pyo", line 153, in main
File "NVDAHelper.pyo", line 171, in initialize
File "ctypes__init__.pyo", line 431, in LoadLibrary
File "ctypes__init__.pyo", line 353, in init
WindowsError: 127 The specified procedure could not be found

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-09-16 07:35
It'd be great if you could test with NVDA 2010.1 on this system to see if the same problem occurs.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by pvagner on 2010-09-17 07:53
The log shows ctypes is unable to locate loadlibrary function. I don't think this might be a NVDA bug.
It'd be nice to test it somewhere but I have no access to such system.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2010-09-18 11:08
Replying to pvagner:

The log shows ctypes is unable to locate loadlibrary function.

That's what it looks like on the surface, but this isn't really the case. What I think is happening is that the nvdaHelperLocal dll is trying to access some function which is not available in that version of Windows and the error is being reported from the !LoadLibrary call. We just can't see what's going on because this happens outside of Python. This is why I want to know whether it happens with 2010.1. If it doesn't, we can start narrowing down where the issue was introduced.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2010-09-29 02:49
Regression from 2010.1.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2010.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2010-09-29 02:56
Fixed in 5d8d95d.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by tmatthews (in reply to comment 5) on 2010-10-11 06:37
I reopened this ticket, only do to the fact, that the person that originally reported this XP issue, was running XP under a VM.
I'm running Win XP SP1A currently, and also reinstalled Win XP without a service pack, E.G Win XP Vanilla, with no VMWare to power it.
I'm using NVDA 2010.1 to write this message.
All the beta's for 2010.2, and even the latest snapshot available, 3879, gives me the phrase:

"Loading NVDA, Please Wait."

, then the famous Windows XP Error sound.
If running the installer setup, the NVDA installer for 2010.2 beta and snapshots will continue to run, however the Windows error sound is heard, and you'd have to continue the install with silence, or with another screen reader.
Completing the install, and choosing to launch NVDA afterwords, resolves in the Loading NVDA phrase, then that Error.
The portable version acts the same, just without the installer of course.

I also might add, NVDA 2010.1, crashes if running IE 6, without service pack 1.

The version of XP I'm using is the "Home" version.
I have enough memory to upgrade to SP2 of XP, however purposely downgraded, and reinstalled Windows, just so that I can make sure its fixed for NVDA users.

Replying to jteh:

Fixed in 5d8d95d.

Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA does not start under Windows XP no service pack." to "NVDA does not start under Windows XP no service pack.E"
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by tmatthews on 2010-10-11 06:38
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA does not start under Windows XP no service pack.E" to "NVDA does not start under Windows XP no service pack."

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2010-10-11 06:54
Replying to tmatthews:

I reopened this ticket, only do to the fact, that the person that originally reported this XP issue, was running XP under a VM.

That doesn't matter. As far as NVDA and Windows are concerned, there is no difference except in the hardware, which shouldn't cause any such failures.

All the beta's for 2010.2, and even the latest snapshot available, 3879, gives me ... the famous Windows XP Error sound.

I'll need to see a log file from this failed startup.

I also might add, NVDA 2010.1, crashes if running IE 6, without service pack 1.

This is a separate issue.

Unfortunately, if the log file doesn't show anything useful, this will have to be deferred indefinitely. I've tested the fix on an XP no sp vm here and it works fine.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2010-10-11 07:01
Don't worry about attaching the log file. It seems that I can reproduce this here with beta2 despite testing the fix locally. Grrr.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2010-10-11 07:12
I don't understand this. When I build 2010.2 locally, it works fine, but copies built by the build server do not. Unfortunately, I can't access the build server at present and it won't be available again for at least a few days, so there's nothing i can do about this for now.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by tmatthews (in reply to comment 10) on 2010-10-11 07:30
Thanks for your help.
Please let me know if any other info about my pc is needed in the future.

Replying to jteh:

I don't understand this. When I build 2010.2 locally, it works fine, but copies built by the build server do not. Unfortunately, I can't access the build server at present and it won't be available again for at least a few days, so there's nothing i can do about this for now.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by mdcurran on 2010-10-18 05:36
An update: This problem is most likely caused by compiling NVDAHelper with Windows SDK 7.1 (VC 2010) which according to release notes only supports XP SP3 and higher. The build server has been using Windows SDK 7.1 for the last month or so. For the RC and final we will downgreat the build server to 7.0 and this should fix the issue. Once the RC comes out, please test it on XP no servicepack and let us know if the problem is solved, before we release 2010.2 final.
We had hoped to move to SDK 7.1 as VC 2010 offers some useful c++ language changes, but we obviously will not be able to do this if many people still run XP before SP3.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by tmatthews (in reply to comment 12) on 2010-10-18 15:35
Thanks for the update.
If Microsoft wasn't extending XP's life to 2014 for most cases, and to 2020 for windows 7 pro and ultimate folks so that they can downgrade back to XP and/or Vista, I wouldn't be as concerned.
No wonder why a lot of people around the world still prefer the "Windows Experience" operating system.

Replying to mdcurran:

An update: This problem is most likely caused by compiling NVDAHelper with Windows SDK 7.1 (VC 2010) which according to release notes only supports XP SP3 and higher. The build server has been using Windows SDK 7.1 for the last month or so. For the RC and final we will downgreat the build server to 7.0 and this should fix the issue. Once the RC comes out, please test it on XP no servicepack and let us know if the problem is solved, before we release 2010.2 final.

We had hoped to move to SDK 7.1 as VC 2010 offers some useful c++ language changes, but we obviously will not be able to do this if many people still run XP before SP3.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2010-10-20 05:44
Fixed in 2010.2rc1.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh on 2010-10-20 21:16
Can someone please confirm that this is fixed with 2010.2rc1? I'm concerned that #986 is a duplicate.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants