Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Punctuation checkbox in voices dialogue is global to all synths #928

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 22, 2010 · 8 comments
Closed
Labels
component/NVDA-GUI enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2010-09-22 14:56
Whatever the setting of the punctuation , ie speak all, or not, affects all synthescisers, in other words it is global, whereas the other settings in the voices dialogue are local to the synth selected.

This will perhaps need a rethink when property sheets are redesigned or made more logical later on.

Also of course if the tickets regarding changes to the configuration of what is and is not spoken and in what context are acted on, this may become academic.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-09-23 00:30
I don't see any reason for this to be a synth specific setting. However, I do agree that this isn't immediately obvious given the other settings in that dialog.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to None

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @jcsteh @Brian1Gaff

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 10, 2017

We should probably look at reorganising some of those global options once #577 is done and we can have cleaner categorisation of our settings.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 10, 2017
@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

Now #577 has been done so I think this could be done easily.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @feerrenrut

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

It's not really clear what this issue is about. I would like to see a better description of the problem to be solved here. Please tell a story that explains a situation where the punctuation level should be tied to the synthesizer rather than a global setting.

I think @jcsteh was suggesting that this setting should remain global, but be moved to another category in order to clarify that it is not synth specific. If anyone wishes to elaborate on this, please do so on another issue.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

My understanding is that this issue is more about consistency and not about use cases. I agree with Jamie that the punctuation could be moved to another cathegory, maybe entirely out of the settings to the voice dictionary or to the symbol pronounciation.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

In that case I think we should close this issue and have a more targeted discussion elsewhere. At the moment this issue doesn't have a clear goal.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
component/NVDA-GUI enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants