Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA Should Announce Tracked Changes in Microsoft Office Word #942

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 25, 2010 · 8 comments · Fixed by #10212
Closed

NVDA Should Announce Tracked Changes in Microsoft Office Word #942

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 25, 2010 · 8 comments · Fixed by #10212

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Pat on 2010-09-25 11:51
NVDA should provide this information whenever tracked changes are turned on or turned off in a Word document by pressing CTRL + Shift + E.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment trackchanges.patch added by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-03-21 12:25
Description:
now it's announcing trackchanges on\off on pressing control+shift+e.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by rameshwar.nagar on 2013-03-21 12:29
Hi,
I attached patch file review this.

Note: when you close MS word that time trackchanges state should be off.

Regards & Thanks,

Rameshwar Nagar
The Center for Internet & Society.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2013-03-21 23:05
Thanks for the patch. However, this isn't an acceptable solution for two reasons:

1. It needs to check the state in Word, not just base it on a flag you set. It might already be enabled in a given document, the user might have started NVDA after enabling it, etc.
  2. It has been suggested that this command is different in different localisations of Word. Therefore, any solution needs to take this into account.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jun 9, 2017

A proper fix for this could be a small productivity boost. Tracking changes is quite common in office environments. On the other hand, there are many toggles on the ribbon, so where do we draw the line? Also, it would be nice to have a way to query the status of this setting in an existing document. @LeonarddeR thoughts?

@PratikP1
Copy link

PratikP1 commented Jun 9, 2017

As I understand it, there needs to be a way to identifiy when track changes are turned on or off, correct? Changes are already reported.

@dkager
Copy link
Collaborator

dkager commented Jun 9, 2017

Correct, with the side note that changes aren't yet reported in braille (#6785).

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Qchristensen commented Nov 12, 2018

In office 365, navigating to the "track changes" ribbon item advises whether it is "pressed" or not. Admittedly not efficient, but it works.

If "Track changes" has been enabled to be shown in the status bar, pressing NVDA+end to read the status bar will advise the state of track changes along with anything else on the status bar.

These can both be seen visually as well.

Overall, I agree with the original idea of reporting the status when CONTROL+SHIFT+E (or the local equivalent) is pressed. This does not introduce a new keystroke and at worst, for the user, it is two keypresses - if say it was already on and they turned it off in order to check.. Querying the status bar gives a lot of additional information that may not be needed, and opening the ribbon is complex.

Currently the other way to check is to type a character, then left arrow to check whether NVDA reports "inserted". This isn't foolproof, as if track changes was turned on this session, and the focus is in text which had been inserted, NVDA won't report "inserted" as that will not have changed from the surrounding text (and assuming "report editor revisions" is enabled in NVDA's document formatting).

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

Hello
Why could we not use the same strategy as the way bold or italic formatting is detected for now? I.e. using the following value in winword.py:
`self.WinwordDocumentObject.TrackRevisions
I have tried and this seems to report correctly the track changes feature status, at least on my French Word with ctrl+shift+R (the localized equivalent of ctrl+shift+e).
I may provide a PR if people agree on this solution.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

6 participants