Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA causes word 2007 and older versions too, assume that document is modified while it is not #949

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 29, 2010 · 20 comments
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app/microsoft-office bug

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2010-09-29 20:59
While opening a document in word 2007 with NVDA, even if document isn't actually touched at all, when closing word asks whether to save changes or not. However, it behaves in normal way if NVDA isn't running.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-09-29 22:07
I've seen this too. Does this happen even if you don't move the cursor at all?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2010-09-29 23:24
I have a really big feeling that its simply caused by calling range.text. The reason I think this is because for read-only documents, range.text fails saying this is a read-only document.
However, I don't think this bug has been around since the beginning of our MS Word support. It would be good to work out when it was introduced. It may be some strange side affect of the new dynamic dispatch support for comtypes... or it may have something to do with a particular window or selection object we're using, I'm not sure.
Certainly further investigation is needed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2010-09-30 01:28
Annoyingly I can not reproduce this at the moment on two separate computers. One is Word 2007 and one is Word 2010. Its possible it was fixed in Word 2010, but I'm not sure why I can't right now reproduce it in Word 2007.
I've certainly seen it before.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Bernd on 2011-06-19 22:04
It is also true for MS Word 2003. Would it be helpful to know in which release this bug was introduced? In this case I'll check this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2011-06-19 22:43
In Word XP, its not every document that this applies to. I tried for a long time to figure what was going on to see if any rules applied, but could not pin it down. it does seem to occur more often if a document is opened from an attachment to an email directly, but this could be due to the fact that it might not have been created by the same version of Word I suppose.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2011-06-19 23:15
It would be very helpfull to know what NVDA release this was introduced in. From what I can see, range.text always fails in these documents, but NVDA has always called this, ever since we started supporting MS Word. So obviously we are calling something else we're not supposed to, which stuffs things up a bit.
The other possibility is that this broke when comtypes changed to using lazybinding IDispatch support.
However, I was never able to prove this as I found it hard to reproduce the actual error.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by briang1 on 2011-06-20 06:41
As I said in my last comment on this. it is apparently random. Its also hard to tell if its been around for a while or not, but my feeling is that its very very old and has escaped merely due to its unpredictability. I see reports of it on the freelists group from time to time. What one has to be careful of is a false triggering due to the origin of the file or something inadvertantly altered by the user.

I don't have snaps going back far enough to test when it started, personally.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment PCT Disability_Equality_Scheme_Dec_06 1 revised_Feb_07x.doc added by briang1 on 2011-06-20 08:46
Description:
Doc file not authored by me, but edited by me on Word xp

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by briang1 on 2011-06-20 08:53
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA causes word 2007 assume that document is modified while it is not" to "NVDA causes word 2007 and older versions too, assume that document is modified while it is not"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by briang1 on 2011-06-20 09:17
In case this did not get in the altered text (I can't see it( here it is again.
The file attached seems to exhibit this in word xp. No matter what you do, if you just load it from the folder and then try to exit word, it thinks its been modified. Would be interesting to know if this occurs in 2003/7 etc.
Even changing it locally, saving it, closing word and reloading then trying to exit word prompts for a save. I'm not sure why! Maybe its just Word?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by briang1 on 2011-06-20 09:54
I'd like to propose something here. This file I think will exhibit the tendency to ask to be saved with no screenreader running, unless one classes narrator as a screenreader that is. So, when you get files like the one attached, its a good policy to send it to someone who has never used a screenreader on their machine for testing. It may well be not nvda's fault! Be interesting to see what later versions of Word do with this file. Unfortunately, I note that the service is still running if you boot with no nvda, and also the display chaining driver from other screenreaders may also be in the services list. Stopping these can crash the machine.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by ghoath on 2011-08-01 03:01
In Word 2003.
This happens even with a new Document.
Start > Run > type winword > Enter > Alt F4 "Do you want to save changes to Document1?"
This does not happen if no screenreader is loaded.

Ironically, documents that this has been happening with for days and days are not doing it now that I am trying to test it. Next time I get one, I will try to figure out what the document does given different interactions with it, such as closing Word immediately, navigating in the document, and pressing NVDA Down Arrow to Say All.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@michaelDCurran @Brian1Gaff, have you still seen this issue lately? I'm tempted to close as won't fix, given the age of Office 2007 and older.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

I am still able to reproduce it with Office 2010.

str:

1. Download attached file.
  2. open it and start say all.
  3. stop say all with CTRL key and press alt+f4.
    Word asks about saving changes, but nothing has been modified.
    plan Informatyka_licencjat v.1.1.docx

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Oct 21, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am not able to reproduce this issue in NVDA 2019.1.1 and MS Word 2010 and 2016 / 365. Is anyone still able to see this issue? I think there was a PR which solved this issue but I don't recall exactly which one it was.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

For me opening the file which I've attached in my last commend in Word 2010 and closing it immediately causes this prompt to appear. I am running Windows 7 x64 and latest NVDA Alpha.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@lukaszgo1 how is this in NVDA 2019.3.1? Maybe this has been fixed by chance while updating to Python 3.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@lukaszgo1 any updates on this? I wonder if there are still users out there using Word 2010 or older at all?

@Adriani90 Adriani90 added the Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. label Mar 30, 2023
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

End of life for MS Office 2013 is officially on April 11, 2023. By this date all Office products before 2016 will have reached their end of life. Thus I am closing this issue as abandoned. If you have the same issue in later version of MS Office (beginning with MS office 2016), please open a new issue covering those versions.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 30, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Abandoned requested reports or updates are missing since more than 1 year, author or users are not available. app/microsoft-office bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants