Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA pronouncing currency symbol before amount #953

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2010 · 8 comments
Closed

NVDA pronouncing currency symbol before amount #953

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2010 · 8 comments
Labels
component/speech feature p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dharvey on 2010-10-01 10:12
Just reporting this bug

For some reason eSpeak announces the currency $10.00 the dollar sign is announced before the amount it should be announced as 100 dollars, same as $1.00 should be 1 dollar. For amounts under $1.00 cents should be taken into account E.G. $0.50 should be announced as 50 cents.

Other currencies should be taken into account E.G. USD, CAD, AUD, pounds, Euros.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2010-10-02 07:34
This sort of special processing is very controversial. Personally, I prefer to hear the text as close as possible to its original form, as there is less room for error. It's possible to write text which can be reported incorrectly by such rules and confusion can arise as a result. This is also probably something that should be done in the synthesiser, not in NVDA. If we ever do this, I'd certainly want it to be configurable.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dharvey (in reply to comment 1) on 2010-10-02 13:52
Replying to jteh:

This sort of special processing is very controversial. Personally, I prefer to hear the text as close as possible to its original form, as there is less room for error. It's possible to write text which can be reported incorrectly by such rules and confusion can arise as a result. This is also probably something that should be done in the synthesiser, not in NVDA. If we ever do this, I'd certainly want it to be configurable.

So I shall get hold of eSpeak developers about this? I don't see how announcing currency is controversial.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by pvagner on 2011-09-28 10:04
I feel the same e.g. $ sign is used in different context than just currency unlike other currency symbols.
However still it has the same controversy like processing dates, times etc.
If I don't want to have 1:00 anounced as 'one o'clock' why should I like to process $10 to 'ten dollars'?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2011-09-30 10:16
Of course some rules in the dictionaries can be formulated to give you what you might require. maybe the way to go is to have a library of these that people could add if they want to. As said though, in one context something as logical as this will come unstack as noted above.

maybe its something to bear in mind in certain app modules, but then its going to be country specific in any case.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: Is your opinion about this still the same?

cc @Brian1Gaff

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 10, 2017

Yes. I might be happy to consider a contributed implementation for this, but it'd need to be configurable (disabled by default) and work for multiple languages. It's certainly not something we (NV Access) will work on.

@jcsteh jcsteh added feature p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority and removed enhancement labels Jul 10, 2017
@fisher729
Copy link

As this is a synthesizer specific issue, can it therefore be closed? Using synths such as Eloquence, Vocalizer Expressive and Windows OneCore Voices, I do not experience this. It's something the eSpeak NG team needs to work on, in my view.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I agree this is synthesizer specific and must be reported there accordingly. @dharvey it works with almost every synthesizer apart from eSpeak. Feel free to report this issue to eSpeak on Github. I am closing this one for now but if there are any other arguments we can reopen it ofcourse.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
component/speech feature p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants