Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Accessibility quirks in various versions of Eset NOD32 with NVDA #963

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 4, 2010 · 8 comments
Closed
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Palacee_hun on 2010-10-04 21:07
System: Hungarian Windows XP SP3 32 bit
NVDA: 2010.2 branch, portable snapshot 3867
However I think these do not matter too much for this ticket.

To experience the problems, you can do the following:

1. Download a free 30-day trial version of NOD32 Antivirus (I did this from [http://www.eset.com.au/download/trial_versions.html], this is an English language version, its version number is 4.2.64.12)
  2. Install the software. This should pose no problems since the installer seems quite accessible.
  3. After finishing the installation, the NOD32 UI starts up automatically in a window calledEset NOD32 Antivirus Application. NVDA announces the title correctly.
  4. According to the docs, this UI has two versions: a graphical (this is the default) and a more accessible text one. You can switch between these by hitting Ctrl-G. So hit it to enter the "more accessible" text mode.
  5. Try to interact with the UI by cursor keys, tabbing, reviewing and using flat review.
    With sighted assistance you can see that the UI reacts to cursoring and tabbing, but NVDA remains totally silent. It should announce the item currently selected from the list on the left part of the window.
    Reviewing only reports the window title, trying to invoke flat review fails and tells me that this is not available on this object.
  6. Try to move the mouse over the UI window. This makes NVDA to announce some tooltips for the items under the mouse pointer, but this behaviour is not reliable. NVDA even reads some other static text like parts of the window also on a seemingly random basis.

It is hard to reproduce the problems in connection with the warning windows of NOD32 due to the nature of them. When I browsed some webpages in Firefox, the HTTP monitor component of NOD32 detected something suspicious and popped up a window asking me what to do next (e.g. whether I permit it to submit the suspicious data to Eset for analysis). However I only deduce this from what NVDA has read about the warning window (only some words). After I tried to tab through the warning window, Windows displayed a crash window telling me that EGUI (the UI program) had crashed and had been stopped. Launching the UI from the Start Menu was ossible.

Some notes:
It seems that NVDA does not find the elements of the NOD32 UI window.
Despite this UI inaccessibility, NOD32 runs fine and updates its virus database smoothly. Fortunately I have not had the opportunity to try out what NOD32 would do if confronted with a real threat, would the inaccessibility of the threat alert window stop it from preventing the activation of the threat.
I have found that it does not matter whether NOD32 UI is in graphical or text mode, the results are the same, it is virtually inaccessible either way.

I suggest a "major" severity degree for this ticket, as it is too well known that antimalware software is essential for Windows, and NOD32 is among the best according to multiple test forums and it contains not only antivirus, but antispyware as well.
Oddly enough, Eset claims on their website that the latest 4.2 version had UI improvements to ensure smooth cooperation with screen readers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-11-11 08:19
I've experienced similar issues with NOD32. The alert windows seam to be not accessible with version 8 of NOD32 as well - they don't read with the mouse tracking of NVDA. The treeview and some listview controls in the UI don't read either. Interestingly enough however, even Narrator in Windows 8.1 can read both the alerts and the problematic treeview and listview controls that NVDA can't. Why?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Palacee_hun on 2014-11-11 23:06
Update:
[NVDA 2014.3, now NOD32 4.2.x seems very accessible. You can tab around in the main window, all controls work as expected. The tree views in Windows XP in the setup dialog are also read, if you turn off "self defence mode". Interestingly in Win7 they are read even with "self defence" on. Why? NOD32 doesn't seem to use UIA.
Alert windows are also accessible, if you tinker with "Alert dialog" settings in the setup. You must disable desktop notifications for that.
I haven't seen any NOD32 UI crashes for a long time.
[[BR]([BR]]
With)]
Now NOD32 7.x also seems similarly accessible, the only real difference is that alert windows are not read out automatically, even if you disable desktop notifications. But if you do that, you can review alert windows with screen review mode in NVDA. By the way you must use screen review mode here and there, but not too much.
[[BR]]
Technical: Self defence mode seems to matter for tree view reading, because NVDA tries to allocate memory in NOD32's address space to extract needed info from the tree view, but self defence mode prevents this. I don't know what happens in Win7, where this does not cause reading problems.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA cannot speak the user interface ofNOD32 Antivirus, nor can it read its warning dialogs, sometimes even causes the NOD32 UI to crash" to "Accessibility quirks in various versions of Eset NOD32 with NVDA"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-11-11 23:13
Replying to k_kolev1985:

The treeview and some listview controls in the UI don't read either. Interestingly enough however, even Narrator in Windows 8.1 can read both the alerts and the problematic treeview and listview controls that NVDA can't. Why?

Were you running a portable or installed copy of NVDA? The observations in comment:2 make me wonder if you're running a portable copy.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-11-11 23:16
Replying to Palacee_hun:

Technical: Self defence mode seems to matter for tree view reading, because NVDA tries to allocate memory in NOD32's address space to extract needed info from the tree view, but self defence mode prevents this. I don't know what happens in Win7, where this does not cause reading problems.

In Windows 7 and later, an installed copy of NVDA has the uiAccess privilege. I don't know how the restrictions on the NOD32 process work, but I'd guess uiAccess gives NVDA the required privileges to bypass this. uiAccess didn't exist in Windows XP.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-11-12 10:58
Replying to jteh:

Replying to k_kolev1985:

The treeview and some listview controls in the UI don't read either. Interestingly enough however, even Narrator in Windows 8.1 can read both the alerts and the problematic treeview and listview controls that NVDA can't. Why?

Were you running a portable or installed copy of NVDA? The observations in comment:2 make me wonder if you're running a portable copy.

I was running an installed copy of NVDA, but it was a "next" snapshot, and not a stable release (if that matters). But the test was done on a Windows 8.1 machine with NOD32 v8.0. And as we know that UAC on Windows 8.1 is more aggressive (you can't disable it completely without tweaking the registry), it may have affected the behavior of NVDA in NOD32. On my machine UAC is turned on and the slider is at 67%.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985: Do you agree with closing as works for me? I'm afraid we can't track down the original author.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

k-kolev1985 commented Jul 20, 2017

@LeonarddeR Well, here we are talking about older and probably not supported by ESET versions of NOD32. We may as well close it. I don't use NOD32 anymore, due to several reasons:

1. I've changed my internet provider and the current one does not provide me with a free license for NOD32, as did the previous one.
  2. Last I checked, the latest versions of NOD32 are not accessible to use with NVDA.

I leave it to you to decide what to do with this ticket.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Thanks, closing for now. Please open a new issue for accessibility quirks in recent versions of Nod32.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants