Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

make it easier for nvda users to find tutorials and the community #5072

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 1, 2015 · 6 comments
Closed
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by driemer.riemer@... on 2015-05-01 13:52
Hi, I have a few suggestions for nvda as per what I have noticed from several people who I know talking to me. These aren't things that are necessarily high priority, but might help to make usage of nvda easier.

Tips

Currently, a user would have to find out about the nvda community website by going to nvaccess.org and finding it. It would be useful to have a get support or nvda community or other type of link in the nvda help menu. This could be a submenu with the following options.

1. Visit the nvda community webpage.
    this activates the link at http://community.nvda-project.org/
  2. Nvda tutorials and self-help.
    This activates the link at http://community.nvda-project.org/wiki/Guides
  3. Connect with nvda users around the world, and get technical support.
    This activates the link for http://community.nvda-project.org/wiki/Connect

Also, when a download completes, maybe the user could be sent to a getting started using nvda webpage.

Put an learn how to use nvda link on nvaccess.org, which sends the user to the nvda guides page.

The links in the help menu could link to the specific nvda communities for their language group, (this may be unpheasable for translators to design).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by driemer.riemer@... on 2015-05-03 20:09
Would anyone mind if I take this and actually make it a thing for at least some of it? I know several people who don't actually know that the community website existed until I told them.

Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2015-05-08 01:32
The NV Access website has a "Get help" section which is the official starting point for support. Within the next year, this will include the ability to purchase official NV Access training material and support. For various reasons including brand trust, quality control and, of course, revenue, this is where we want to drive users initially.

Linking to the Guides page on the Community website makes it very official and suggests that we provide or at least endorse everything that is posted there. While we obviously appreciate and respect all of the work the community has put into those guides, we do not monitor or check them in any way, so they cannot be considered official. Many of them are also somewhat outdated.

Aside from this, as you pointed out, the Community site is linked from the NV Access site anyway. I'm not sure i see a reason to fill the NVDA menu with even more items, thus leading to potential confusion about where to go.

Happy to discuss further, but this is how things are as I see it.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@derekriemer Could you please follow-up with @jcsteh with regards to #5072 (comment)? If Derek agrees, we should be able to safely close this ticket. @ehollig

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

I think this can be closed, but I do want to state again that it is way to difficult to find things if you are a beginner. I'd prefer the link on nvaccess.org to somehow link to all the important project links, because many users will struggle to realize that they have to click through from github to the wiki (On a separate github repo). It's at least 2 clicks to get to the wiki, after clicking the community link. Maybe we point at the nvda community repo first, or at least put a notice on the readme that a wiki is available for users at this link.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 2, 2017 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

After the redesign of the webpage, it seems that there is a link under "get help" which is called "find out more". This link leads already to the connect wiki on github, where users can find all information needed to subscribe to the users list etc.
Moreover, at the bottom of the nv access website there is a link to the main github page for NVDA.

I am closing this issue also in favour of #4033.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants