Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Apparent incorrect character set when viewing Outlook Express errors #582

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 28, 2010 · 2 comments
Closed
Labels
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2010-02-28 22:54
To view, creat an outlook Express error, say, pull the net plug out in the middle of a session. When the error panel pops up, tab to the details button, and select it (note sometimes the details button needs two presses) Then tab to the error. it will be something like, 1 out of 4 tasks completed successfully, but then the actual error will be spoken in the manner of a foreign set of characters, like letter this and letter that.
However, if one then does a cut and paste from this panel into, say, wordpad, the error will appear normally and can be read .

Looks like the edit read only field in the error box is not being recognised properly.
Blocked by #40, #643

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2010-02-28 23:24
I have investigated this a little:

• The window class is 'ListBox', which I must say is an extremely old class and is hardly found anywhere in xp and up... except obviously Outlook Express.
  • The list item's name contains complete junk, according to MSAA accName.
  • The ListBox is possibly either owner drawn (meaning that the text was never set on the items at all, rather it was written by the application directly to the display), or there is simply a bug in MSAA. Though this is hard to prove with out access to other uses of the ListBox window class.
  • I doubt the character set is just wrong, as when pasting the message in to a text editor, on my system the message is en English, and most english codepages, including unicode, have the same first 127 or so characters. And I did also try reading the MSAA string as ascii rather than unicode, which didn't help.

I'd think the only way we could fix this one is with display hooks -- something we can't do just right now.
But when we can, we've now got this info.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2010-05-13 04:08
Implemented via display hooking merged in c90061b.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2010.2
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant